Monday, October 17, 2011

Reasons to Keep Mold Away From Your Home

Household mold can occur on many different surfaces including sheetrock, windows, carpet, in the attic, kitchens, bathrooms, and many other places all over your home. It can be unseen as it hides in surfaces in your house and poses as a serious health risk to you and your family. There are several different types of mold, some which are very harmful to your health. It is important to air quality, respiratory health and cleanliness to keep mold away from your home.

Mold can grow where a little bit of moisture is present. In the bathroom or kitchen under tiles and cabinets, or by windows that are not properly sealed. Sheetrock, basements and crawl spaces are also damp dark places where mold can potentially grow. Detecting mold can be as simple as a visual detection. Mold can be black or white in color and grow on any dirty surface. As well as visual detection you may also be able to smell mold. It usually has a very damp, musty smell that is unpleasant to the nose. Due to climate change in the house and moisture mold is a common household occurrence however too much or toxic strands of mold can be detrimental to your family's health, especially children and the elderly.

Many molds that grow unseen to your eye actually have serious health effects. If you notice changes to your health such as sneezing, red eyes, difficulty breathing, or symptoms that may resemble allergies this could be the result of household mold. Serious effects of long term exposure to mold can include severe respiratory conditions including asthma. Other effects of exposure include nausea, headaches, rashes, fatigue, long term allergies and other serious health effects. These effects can be serious for babies, young children, the elderly and those with suppressed immune systems. It is important to reduce mold growth in the home.

Although mold is always present in the air keeping your household clean is a great way to reduce its spread and growth. Keeping household surfaces clean and dry will help to stop its growth. Reducing the amount of humidity inside your home is also a great way to stop mold growth. A dehumidifier is a machine that will suck moisture out of the air and reduce humidity. Climate control is also a great way to ward off dampness in the home. You can make sure that windows are properly sealed and insulation is installed to keep outdoor moisture from seeping into your home. Keeping your home clean and dry will reduce household mold and keep your family healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment